See outdoor movies (for free) this summer in the Sacramento region
Take advantage of Sacramento’s cool summer evenings and move your viewing parties from the couch to the lawn for these outdoor movie screenings showing everything from animated flicks like Inside Out to ’80s throwbacks like Back to the Future. Here are dozens of ways to get in some screen time under the stars throughout the region.
Outdoor Movie Night (El Dorado Hills)
Spread out on a blanket and munch on popcorn provided by Regal Cinemas while you and the family take in this Despicable Me spin-off.
• June 3 Minions
Free. 6 p.m. seating. 8:30 p.m. screening. Steven Young Amphitheater. 4364 Town Center Blvd. El Dorado Hills. 933-6699. eldoradohillstowncenter.com
Natomas at Nite: Movies in the Park (North Natomas)
Complimentary popcorn and water are provided at this outdoor screening series sponsored by Sacramento City Councilwoman Angelique Ashby.
• June 3 Finding Nemo
• June 24 Minions
• July 15 Inside Out
• Aug. 12 Zootopia
Free. 8 p.m. North Natomas Regional Park. 4989 Natomas Blvd. angeliqueashby.com
Friday Moonlight Movies (Rancho Cordova)
Village Green Park goes retro with its presentation of ’80s favorites. Munch on kettle corn from Art of Popcorn and shaved ice from Sweet Treats while you kick back with one of these flashback flicks.
• June 3 Back to the Future
• June 10 Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
• June 17 Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark
• June 24 Footloose
Free. 7 p.m. seating. 8:30 p.m. screening. Village Green Park. 3141 Bridgeway Dr. Rancho Cordova. 851-8700. cityofranchocordova.org
Movie in the Park (Roseville)
Hop from park to park in Roseville for these family-friendly movie screenings, offering dinner choices like pizza, popcorn and snow cones. Plus, kids can make their own tie-dye T-shirts for $3 before each showing.
• June 11 Inside Out (Woodbridge Park, 415 Sierra Blvd.)
• June 25 Cinderella (Maidu Park, 1550 Maidu Dr.)
• July 9 Field of Dreams (Crestmont Park, 1500 Champion Oaks Dr.)
• July 23 Aladdin (James W. Wanish Park, 1351 Junction Blvd.)
• Aug. 13 Minions (Buljan Park, 150 Hallissy Dr.)
• Aug. 27 Zootopia (Fred Festersen Park, 2150 Village Green Dr.)
Free. 7:30 p.m. seating. Sundown screening. Various locations. rcona.org
Summer Movies in the Park (Arden-Arcade)
The Fulton-El Camino Recreation & Park District is opening up its lawns—and pools too (at two “dive-in” screenings, where $2.50 buys a ticket for a pre-movie swim)—to moviegoers at parks throughout Arden-Arcade.
• June 17 Minions (Seely Park, 3000 Pope Ave.)
• July 1 Moana (“Dive-In” at Cottage Pool, 3097 Cottage Way)
• July 22 Stand by Me (Howe Park, 2201 Cottage Way)
• Aug. 12 How to Train Your Dragon 2 (“Dive-In” at Cottage Pool, 3097 Cottage Way)
• Aug. 26 Inside Out (Seely Park, 3000 Pope Ave.)
Free ($2.50 for "Dive-In"s). Non-Dive-In screening will feature cartoons at 8:30 p.m. Main movie screening for all parks start at 9 p.m. 927-8302. Various locations. fecrecpark.com